Macaroni Payasam :
Macaroni payasam taste very good and easier to make -
Kids just love them, you can make them using different shaped macaronis
Organic Macaroni - 1/4 cup yields almost 1 cup of cooked macaroni
Organic Full Fat Non Homeogenised Milk - 5 cups
Organic Butter - unsalted - 4 tsp
Nutmeg - 1 pinch
Organic cashews - 5 tsp
Cardamom - 5 pods ( peeled and crushed)
Spanish Saffron - 1 pinch
Turbandino Sugar - 1 cup
How to make Macaroni Payasam.
1. Cook the Macaroni with 5 cups of plain water and very less salt make sure the macaroni is well cooked - Remove from the flame - and drain the excess water using a colander. Add 4 cups of cold water to the macaroni with 1 tsp of oil
and drain them again - SO this will keep the macaroni from sticking to each other.
2. Now take a 2 Qt sauce pan - Heat the 5 tsp of butter wait until the butter melts. Now add the cardomom and the nutmeg to the melted butter after the cardamom starts to sizzle add the cashews ( broken) let the cashews cook for a minute or turn golden brown.
3. Now add the 5 cups of Milk along with the 1 cup of turbandino sugar let the stove on medium low and let the milk boil for about 30 minutes - Add the cooked macaroni to the boiling milk and let them simmer together for about 20 minutes.
Just before you remove from the stove add a pinch of saffron and fried raisins if needed.
TIPS to enhance the payasam.
1. You can add coconut milk ( home made or store bought ) just 5 minutes before you remove the payasam from the stove
2. Add non homeoginised milk enhances the taste you can click on the link below to read the benefits of non homeogenised milk, YOu can find the non homeogenised milk in whole foods, trader joes and other health stores, more popular brands are strauss and san benito
3. Add turbandino or any raw cane sugar or brown cane sugar or jaggery enhances the recipe ( JAggery can be found in indian stores or online)
4. The final outcome of the recipe should taste like adai pradhaman( kerala payasam)
5. The more time the milk boils in very low flame the thicker the payasam gets
6. You can add more warm milk to make the payasam more watery by time the liquid in the payasam will be absorbed by the macaroni
7. You can adjust the level of butter and the sugar to your preference.
Good luck and hope you enjoy this recipe.