White Bread Ingredients:
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons shortening
1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
White Bread Directions:
1. Mix together shortening, sugar, salt, yeast, and 1 1/5 cups flour.
Add warm water and beat by hand about 300 strokes, or 3 minutes, with
an electric mixer. Add remaining flour, scraping bowl often, and mix all
together until smooth.
2. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise until doubled in volume.
3. Stir dough down gently, and spoon into a lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pan
(the batter should be sticky). Pat down with floured hands to help shape.
Cover again, and let rise for about 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
5. Bake for about 45 minutes. Place on a cooling rack, and brush top with